Church of San Bartolomé
In Itsaso stands the Church of San Bartolomé and its clock tower dating from 1730, one of the oldest in Gipuzkoa. Although the temple dates from the 16th century it contains remains from earlier periods, such as the late Romanesque doorway.
It has three naves with semicircular arches and a polygonal apse. The altarpiece is from the last third of the sixteenth century. As a curiosity it should be noted that in one of the walls there is a star engraved of unknown origin.
The altarpiece dating from 1575 was engraved and gilded by Juan de Lizarralde. It contains several multicoloured carvings including that of St. Bartholomew, which occupies a central place on the second level, above the shrine. The Calvary on the top row is also interesting.
The side spaces contain well crafted high reliefs: the flogging of the Lord, an Ecce Homo, the Adoration of the Shepherds and the Annunciation and Visitation of St. Elizabeth. There are also other altarpieces worth mentioning: one dedicated to the Virgin of the Rosary, one of the Virgin of Carmen and Saint Joseph. The side of the apse contains paintings depicting the Last Supper and the Holy Family.
The choir rests on three artistically carved arches. Under the choir there is a baptismal font and an altar dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows.
From here there are lovely views over Gabiria, between the trees, and there are also beautiful places to rest surrounded by trees.