Hermitage of Santa Lucía Anduaga
It is popular because the first festivals which later came to be held in Urretxu were held here.
It lies at the foot of the road leading from Zumarraga to Beasain next to the medieval pillory of Santa Lucia and almost opposite the junction that leads to the centre of Ezkio.
It contains a polychrome central altarpiece whose top row contains the image of Saint Lucia and some bas reliefs about her life. The second row has a Calvary and images of the Virgin and St. John.
The hermitage has been documented since 1585. A 1620 contract entrusted the painting and gilding of the altar and the image of Santa Lucia to Prudencio Garcia de Andoain, a resident of Salvatierra.
During the Middle Ages there were seven major cattle fairs in Gipuzkoa: in Larraitz (Abaltzisketa), San Juan de Iturrioz (Aia), San Valero (Arrasate), San Juan de Oñaz (Azpeitia), San Andres de Elosua (Bergara), Lierni (Mutiloa) and Santa Lucia. All of these places have hermitages.
The municipal councillors complained to higher authorities in 1726 that the merchants and traders that came to the fair were using the premises of the hermitage as there was no other covered place in the area. At the general meeting of Gipuzkoa held in Villarreal (Urretxua) it was decided to suspend the fairs that were held in unpopulated areas. Therefore, the famous fair of Santa Lucia (13th December) was held first in Urretxu, then in Zumarraga and today between the two locations.
In 1984 the hermitage underwent restoration work. The tower dates from 1906.
The festival of Saint Peter is celebrated with a mass and traditional games.
Hermitage of Santa Lucía, Anduaga
Opening times and prices content goes here.