Legazpi Town Hall

16/10/2012
  • Town:
    Legazpi

After the Segura exemption and with few financial resources, the people of Legazpi built their first Council Building, which was very small and quickly became old. A century later (in 1730, just after the church was finished) they built the one that exists today.

As the town meetings were popular and open to everyone, the municipalities of Gipuzkoa did not rush to build Council Buildings. The meetings were held under the arches of the church or within it if the weather made it necessary.

After the Segura exemption and with few financial resources, the people of Legazpi built their first Council Building, which was very small and quickly became old. A century later (in 1730, just after the church was finished) they built the one that exists today.

It is the work of carpenters and masons, most of them local, with the help of the neighbours in “auzolan” (neighbourhood co-operation). Because of the serious economic problems that affected the village at the time, it took 20 years to finish.

Its style is similar to that of the majority of municipalities in Gipuzkoa. Its author is unknown but it might be Martin Carrera. The facade is made of ashlar masonry and it has a portico with three arches, a large balcony for proclamations and the coat of arms of the Valley, designed by Javier Bikuña, from Oñati. The rear is similar to the front.

It was inaugurated following the latest interior and exterior renovations of the building after the old one was completely demolished (in 1968). Inside an iron shield is on display, forged by Alonso Cohomonte.

Because of a recent fire, the inside has been totally refurbished.

Fullscreen-Logo
Ayuntamiento de Legazpi

loading map - please wait...

Ayuntamiento de Legazpi
43.050345, -2.333790
Ayuntamiento de Legazpi
Euskal Herria enparantza

  • euskadi-turismoa
  • San Sebastian Region
  • Tierra Ignaciana
  • UGGASA